Re: self-signed

On 4/18/11 5:27 AM, Henry Story wrote:
> It is true that we need to think more carefully about the relation between the claims made in the certificate and the authentication.
>
>   • WebId authentication is orthogonal to certificate based authentication (This is true for Dane too)
>     + it can work with x509 certificates but we could also imagine a future version of TLS that would only send bare keys
>     + it also means that claims made in X509 certificates can work just as they do now
>       If a CA places a WebID in the cert, then the CA claim functions and the WebID authn too. If they contradict each other then I would say it is up to the authenticating party to adjust his trust. If he only goes with the WebID authn, then he cannot rely on the CA statements. If he relies on the CA only then he can't trust the WebId process one. The best usually is to refuse.
>     + the CA based authentication can itself be WebId anchored
>       We could have root CA's with WebIds whom we trust because of their position in a network.
>
>    • on the X509v1-v3 issue
>     + X509v1 does not have SAN field, so it's not much use practically for us

If the following are true:

1. WebID is scoped to HTTP scheme URIs
2. Empty SANs not acceptable.

Again, not a problem per se., but lets be clear about these matters.

>     + many servers (Apache) only accept X509v3 properly configured certificates. This has to be taken into account in a programatic rollout process

For sake of Apache? If you are going to justify things for sake of
Apache based on installed base, then you have to be consistent about the
effects of ubiquity in other realms e.g. items 1&2 re. factors that
drive adoption and rollout.

We have to be overtly consistent :-)

[SNIP]

>     Henry

Kingsley

> [...]
>> better. This is what killed client cert adoption, for 15 years (in my view).
>>
>> 2) from Peter, webid validation makes no use of extensions (other than SAN).
>> Thus one can always self-assert, based ONLY on control of private key. The
>> cert is a cert-like thing, that is simply a container for a few fields,
>> signed by the SSL handshake. Those fields have no X.509 conformance
>> obligations, since webid is not a cert-using system.
>>
>> Now, under 2, in the windows code I cited the other day, I allowed the
>> resource server to go beyond conformance, under the webid spec. If the
>> cert-like blob is found to be present in a certain windows cert store, as
>> resource server the code then double-dips - and validates ALSO under PKI
>> chaining rules. This is "normal" PKI chain validation, and only happens for
>> certs-like blobs I've elected to treat as true certs. The cert-like thing,
>> now viewed as a cert, then has to satisfy ADDITIONAL rules, not enacted by
>> the webid code. Its validated using normal cert-using logic (implemented by
>> the windows cert chain or peer chain trust provider - that is reasonably
>> PKIX-conforming).
>>
>> At this, point I may reject Hans certs - even though Henrys cert checker
>> says its good. I am a non-conforming system at that point, since I added the
>> value of chain-trust requirement (that is largely driven by the v3
>> extensions). I may well reject the authn, at that point. But, its because
>> I'm now in non-conforming mode.
>>
>> If I look forward a few years, to the usual legal semantics wars, this all
>> matters IF one question whether an act of webid authn is tantamount to legal
>> signing act, under E-SIGN laws or equivalent. E-SIGN covers click-wrap and
>> form-submit grade digital signatures, remember (pressing a web form's submit
>> button can constitutes an e-signature, remember, under such laws). By
>> agreement of the parties, one can treat an act of webid authn as an
>> enforceable (legal) signature, similarly. But is it a valid signature, under
>> legal rules? Says counsel, Henry's conformance checker says it is a valid
>> act of authn, per conforming to the webid protocol spec. Says contrarian
>> counsel, I say it's not (under my client's value-adding regime, that imposes
>> addidtional obligations on the asserting party).
>>
>> Which is true? Did user intend to sign and bind him/herself to the license
>> or not, on release his/her webid client authn cert-like thing? Does the fact
>> that the browser signs ANY handshake after the first (without presenting a
>> dialog) matter?
>>
>> (In my setup, I mint keys with more rather more care and controls than
>> Henry's and other's cert issuing website. I set the rule that ANY use of the
>> user's signature key requires consent of the user, each application. Windows
>> pops up a dialog box not to re-select the cert to be release, note, but to
>> re-authorize the act of signing the SSL messages.)

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen