RE: WebID security picture

I've been playing with some Microsoft sample code for (RESTful) web
services, augmented with webid. Its specifically focuses on dynamic uses of
such as webid. It's hard to call it lightweight, but one can call it
commodity (since the ws-security standards it uses are in windows and java)

The sample has the following scenario: restful client (e.g. javascript in
browser page) uses local service-proxy to talk to service1. Service1
optionally exposes (signed) metadata, that induces metadata-based client to
first request return of a SAML token of an STS agent. (This request will be
augmented with webid and https, once I get it all working). The SAML token
and its response envelope communicate a symmetric key to the client's
service-proxy (rather like a SSL session key, in some sense). The webrequest
to the real service1 is then wrapped in a ws-trust envelope, signed and
sealed using service1's RSA encryption keys AND stamped with the symmetric
key known only to the STS, and the two entities. The service interceptor
strips off the ws-trust envelopes (this REALLY should remind you of s-http,
circa 1995!), and invokes the method of the service, setting cryptosession
variables in the host environment, for this service's endpoint. Subsequent
messages that execute web request/responses between these two entities
leverage keying derived from the session keys, so creating a liteweight
crypto-session(s) usable by REST for certain security purposes (NOT app
sessions!)

In the specific demo, service1 makes a further web call to service2,
projecting forward the client's SAML token. Service2 enforces access
controls using the client authority, not service1's authority.

The STS has an online signing key. IT basically translates a webid
connection into a dynamically signed STS token - and symmetric proof key
shared between certain SAML token recipients (service1, but not service2)
and the client. The resultant layer 7 (not 4) security context between
client and service then create a crypto session, quite similar (for crypto
101 folks) to an SSL session.

This is how Im getting passed the corporate firewalls, which block client
cert and client authn being used end-end, between client and service.
Obviously, the STS has to be WITHIN that firewall boundary. (Its running in
my browser, under opera unite.).

This is all a variation of Henry's demo of a webid-powered IDP. The only
different is that I'm using standards, rather than making up my own format
and having to sell them.

Now the other half of the experiment is to ensure that any webid procedure
is invoked when the signed STS token is received by the service1 security
interceptor. Though the "client cert" is not received from an https channel
(being received from a s-http-like, ws-trust channel instead), one notes
from the cert that this is usage of the webid'd cert IS authorized - since
it has the PKIX clientAuthn extended key usage (which many folks  improperly
interpret to mean SSL client authn, only).

As always, real web security is a hybrid world. Once rdf/xml file get
signed, one can see the metadata driving all this process using triples and
services descriptions, rather than SAML2 metadata format. Progress on
replacing SAML2's signed metadata seems slow, if not at dead stop, though -
since we still cannot sign RDF streams effectively.