Re: Model and sources of uncertainty

Hello Giorgos, Vipul, and MItch,

Please, find my comments embedded.

On Jun 15, 2007, at 5:01 AM, Giorgos Stoilos wrote:
> [...]

Dissonance happens when you have distinct pieces of evidence
supporting contradictory or conflicting views.
If a given piece of evidence supports hypothesis H and another
supports hypothesis notH, then we have contradiction, since H and
notH are mutually exclusive. A Knowledge Base that has two axioms
supporting contradictory hypothesis is inconsistent.
Conflicting evidence is another form of dissonance, this time
supporting hypothesis that are not mutually exclusive. Therefore, a
Knowledge Base that has two pieces of evidence supporting conflicting
hypothesis is not necessarily inconsistent.
Ambiguity happens when you have one or more pieces of evidence that
are subject to different interpretations, which can lead to distinct,
sometimes incompatible conclusions.

In other words, dissonance (either contradiction of conflict) refers
to the relationship between distinct pieces of evidence, whereas
ambiguity is more related to how a given piece of evidence is
interpreted. To explore this idea further, two pieces of evidence may
not be ambiguous (each one is clearly supporting a specific
hypothesis), but they might be dissonant when analyzed together.

> In the definition of inconclusiveness you use the term "not
> enough" (i.e. incomplete). Thus, is it related to incompleteness?

If you have complete information about an inherently probabilistic
phenomena (thinking on Quantum theory might help here) then you still
can't reach a uncertainty-free conclusion.

> Some examples might also help.

Please, be aware that when it comes to devising good examples I am
just pathetic.

Contradictory evidence:
- Every computer in the product design department is a mac.
- Mary works in a Dell computer from the product design department.
Conflicting evidence:
- People form the design department voted Mary, a brilliant software
designer, for employee of the year.
- John, the design department's leader, blamed Mary for the poor
quality ratings the department got this year.
Ambiguous evidence:
- Sam and Max were seen in the woods, they are hunting dogs
(ambiguity in the meaning - patent ambiguity)
- Only tall people can play Basketball (What is a tall person - lack
of precision - latent ambiguity)

> BTW, I would also add "inconsistent" in the list; where in the same
> knowledge base there exist contradictory axioms.

An inconsistent KB is the result of contradictory evidence, which is
a special kind of dissonant evidence.

All in all, I have a slight different view with respect to Mitch's
ontology.
In short, if we see uncertainty as the inability to predict the
outcome of an event, then such inability can be caused either by our
imperfect knowledge on the event or by the nature of the event
itself. Therefore, the only possible types of uncertainty (generally
speaking) are:

Epistemic - due to imperfect knowledge
Essential - due to phenomena that is intrinsically randomic

How to differentiate?
Maybe a modified version of the Clairvoyant test:
Suppose one has the ability to know everything about anything, and
you ask her about the outcome of a given phenomena.  Would she be
able to predict it?
If yes, then we are talking about epistemic uncertainty. Else, we are
talking about intrinsic (or any similar word) uncertainty.

Further, I'd list the possible causes (sources) that might lead to
such situation:

1 - You have evidence that is (are):
Inconclusive (see above)
Ambiguous (see above) --> one cause of ambiguous evidence is vagueness.
Dissonant (see above)   --> encompasses contradictory and conflicting
evidence
Incomplete
Unreliable

2 - You have an essentially random event.

That is, ambiguity (for example) is not a type of uncertainty, but a
source of uncertainty. An ambiguous statement or axiom will have many
possible interpretations, and will thus prevent one to make
inferences on the basis of that statement.

Anyway, the above is just an initial view that might help with the
discussion.

All the best,
Paulo