From: Riccardo Tommasini <tomma156@gmail.com<mailto:tomma156@gmail.com>>
Subject: Re: A unit of measurement as a measuring property
Date: October 7, 2015 at 11:59:25 AM EDT
To: "Sheth, Amit" <amit.sheth@wright.edu<mailto:amit.sheth@wright.edu>>

There are many alternative solutions to represent the unit of measurements of a Property in SSN. They have  different constrains and characteristics.

Starting from the definition of ssn:Property, an observable Quality of an Event or Object.
There are the options:
1) Attach the unit of measurements to the ssn:ObservationValue class, the information will be replicated for any instance of the value. e.g [1]

2) Attach the unit of measurements to the sensor by exploiting the Measurement Capabilities class:  the information will be available for each sensor instance. Look at [2].

3) Attaching it to the sun:Property class, by defining an object property. I don’t recommend this option since it is not flexible and the ontology will be hard to be extended.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN_Smart_product

[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN_Sensor

Begin forwarded message: