Re: ISSUE-2 (All processes are systems): All processes are systems [sensor ontology - http://mmisw.org/orr/#http://www.w3.org/2009/SSN-XG/Ontologies/SensorBasis.owl - 09.12.15 ]

my conceptions/preconceptions/misconceptions are as follows.

- A sensor need not be a physical device.  Kevin's definition of "An
entity capable of observing a phenomenon and returning an observed
value." seems ok to me.

- A Sensor need not be a single entity - it can be composed of any
number of sub sensors, each perhaps of their own identity, each
perhaps measuring different things that get combined into the whole.

- The following things 'are' sensors
*a temperature sensor (i.e. a physical device) at location l
*a program on a computer (far away from location l) that can read in
the temperature at location l and a wind speed estimate for location l
and calculate the windchill at l

More correctly, in both cases something has acted as a sensor for a
particular phenomenon: a device in the first instance, and the program
in the second - if I wrote down the temperature and wind speed
measurements on a piece of paper and calculated the wind chill myself,
then I have acted as the sensor.

- The example of the wind chill sensor means that sensors can have
multiple components, and I guess the components may themselves be
interesting.

- A device (a physical piece of hardware) can also be broken down into
components (presumably other devices, but perhaps also systems -
software systems etc) but I don't see that as having anything to do
with sensors or their decomposition into parts.  For example, imagine
a device that can measure wind speed and temperature, that has a small
inbuilt chip that can calculate wind chill, round measurements,
compute averages and a radio to communicate its readings.  It's
physical decomposition into its components is different from its
decomposition into the roles it can play as a sensor.  So the two
sorts of decomposition may be related, but not equivalent.

- I'm also unsure about the word system and in particular it's
relationship to process.

- partly I see the problem as linguistic: i.e. we are using the word
sensor in two different contexts.  We think of things in terms of 'ah
this thing is a sensor', but we also say 'a sensor is a process'.  Is
what we are really saying that to sense something is to follow a
process that leads to a value as an estimate of a phenomenon.  In
which case a sensor isn't a thing at all it's really a 'to sense
do...' or 'was sensed by doing...'.  So if we take it that to sense
something is to follow a process that estimates a value, then what is
a system and why is a sensor one?  To think of a system as a
collection of components in some technical sense and then make sensor
one of these is to take the 'ah this thing is a sensor' approach, but
then we also agree on 'a sensor is a process' which now seems to make
a sensor not a system.  So is the biggest problem here simply that we
(copying from SWE) have decided that systems have components and
sensors are also made up of things, so it must be a system - where as
there are actually two hierarchies here and we should represent them
with different relationships?

So how about....

a System is a device/computer system/software system that is made up
of components

a Sensor is a process (a description of inputs/outputs, some steps and
data flows) which may also be made up of sub sensors

a System may play the role of a sensor for phenomenon X.

Michael