Re: ISSUE-3 (Modules for sensor, data and process): Ontology modules aligned with use cases [sensor ontology - http://mmisw.org/orr/#http://www.w3.org/2009/SSN-XG/Ontologies/SensorBasis.owl - 09.12.15 ]

A couple of points about this one

- I think showing how the ontology relates to the use cases is an
important idea.  Doing so would certainly portray both the ontology
and the use cases in a way that would make them both accessible and
understandable relative to each other.

- Actually structuring the ontology around these use cases does seem
unusual.  A modular structure is good idea, but it should more
represent the natural boundaries and groupings of the ideas.

- A view or representation of the ontology, while conforming to it's
logical meaning, doesn't have to represent it's modular structure or
all it's parts.  For example if the ontology is split into modules A,
B and C, but a particular use case required B, parts of A and only a
little of C, then it would seem natural to me to highlight those
aspects in the presentation of the ontology for that use case, perhaps
presenting the concepts in a way suitably showing those parts together
and not highlighting the 'real' modularisation of the ontology.  So
why not produce such views (i.e. just as diagrams) suitable for
explaining particular points and use cases, and if it's natural and
correct why not think about it in terms of that representation when
think about the use case?

- I think I think this because I always see an ontology and its
representation as distinct things - though many seem to disagree, so
here's my explanation.  Like any data structure or model an ontology
does not have to be exposed in it's entirity, or at all, to 'users'.
Just as in programming where we build data structures internally, to
say objects, and then expose interfaces to them, here we can build the
ontology as a model, but expose or represent it in any way that
respects its meaning but is more appropriate to the task at hand.  For
example we have already discovered in the group that there is a
division between caring mostly about data (observations) and mostly
about sensors.  These groups have different requirements of and
different focusses on the ontology.  So it would seem natural then to
present to say an observation focused user a view of the ontology that
highlights and looks like their view of the world, rather than
presenting the ontology in its whole, which may not at all look like
or feel like their view of the world.  Here I mean present in either
an interface for using the ontology, or document explaining it etc.

So I think that we should structure the ontology in the most natural
way, but, in the sense in those last two points, I think Laurent's
suggestion has some merit in both explaining and potentially
validating the ontology for the particular uses that we have identified.

Michael