Re: ISSUE-2 (All processes are systems): All processes are systems [sensor ontology - http://mmisw.org/orr/#http://www.w3.org/2009/SSN-XG/Ontologies/SensorBasis.owl - 09.12.15 ]

On Dec 16, 2009, at 12:15, Manfred Hauswirth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Luis Bermudez wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Senors and sensor system can be model as process ( they can get
>> some input and can produce some output). We are mainly interested
>> in the output, this is why "process" is important
>
> Hmm, in my domain, process is an active component, whereas what you
> describe, I would describe as a data stream (processing) system.
>
>> Sensors and platform  have components, these is why they can be
>> model as systems
>
> If you think in terms of hardware only, yes. What about the OS of a
> sensor? Like TinyOS - what would that be?

Well, it can certainly be modeled as a system, and it certainly has
components. (See, I bet you thought 'component' meant hardware. But I
didn't.)

>> System and Process are two independent concepts. Maybe we should
>> leave them that way and say sensor is subclass of both.
>
> Agreed.

No one has told me what the difference between a System and a Process
is. If you can't tell me the difference, I don't think there is one.

> For me a sensor can be part of a process. A process can use sensors.
> On the other hand a sensor can also implement a process.

I found the only way it made sense to have a word 'sensor' that was
different from a word 'device' was if the sensor was performing an
atomic operation.  I think this is still implementing a process, though.

> A system on the other hand can consist of sensors and processes.

A Process can include both sensors and processes.

> Am I misunderstanding "system"?

No, I think the confusion may be about Process, or maybe Component.

> Best regards,
>
> Manfred
>
> --
> Prof. Manfred Hauswirth
> Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI)
> National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)
> http://www.manfredhauswirth.org/

I have my new work email address: jgraybeal@ucsd.edu

John Graybeal   <mailto:jgraybeal@ucsd.edu>
phone: 858-534-2162