Re: Quick overview of privacy icons (Aza and Arun's W3C position paper from privacy workshop)

On a similar note Renato has a paper where he presents Privacy Icons within a the social networking context, the work is based on ODRL, subject of the previous teleconf.

 http://semanticidentity.com/Resources/Entries/2010/7/1_Virtual_Goods_+_ODRL_Workshop_2010.html

Mischa
On 14 Sep 2010, at 19:09, Harry Halpin wrote:

>> From http://www.w3.org/2010/api-privacy-ws/papers/privacy-ws-22.txt
>
> Just cut and pasting it below so people can read before telecon:
>
> = Privacy: A Pictographic Approach =
>
> Submitted by:
> Aza Raskin <aza@mozilla.com>
> Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
>
> On behalf of Mozilla
>

> Mozilla believes that privacy policies are long documents written in
> legalese that obfuscate meaning. Nobody reads them because they are
> indecipherable and
> obtuse. Yet, these are the documents that tell you what’s going on with your
> data — how, when, and by whom your information will used. To put it another
> way, the privacy policy lets you know if some company can make money from
> information (like selling your email address to a spammer).
>
> Creative Commons [1] did an amazing thing for copyright law. It made it
> understandable. Creative commons reduced the complexity of letting others
> use your work with a set of combinable, modular icons.
>
> In order for privacy to have meaning for actual people, we need to follow in
> Creative Commons' footsteps. We need to reduce the complexity of privacy
> policies to an indicator scannable in seconds.
>
> Mozilla believes that solving all of the problems with privacy in one go is
> tilting at windmills. P3P [2] took a taxonomic approach and languished in the
> exponential complexity. Instead, we should be seeking to answer the
> question: "What attributes of privacy policies and terms of service should
> people care about?" and then highlight those attributes. Further, we should
> only be highlighting attributes of privacy which are not "business as usual"
> so that users do not become inured by constant warnings.
>
> Finally, Mozilla believes that the attributes should be machine readable to
> encourage user-agent and other innovation.
>
> == Only What People Should Care About ==
>
> The “should” is critical. Privacy policies are often complex documents that
> deal with subtle and expansive issues. A set of easily understood and
> universal icons cannot possible encode everything. Instead, we should call
> out only the attributes which are not “business as usual”: the warning flags
> that your privacy and data are at risk.
>
> Here's an example. Should we have an icon that lets the you know that your
> data will be shared with 3rd parties? Isn’t 3rd party sharing intrinsically
> a bit suspect? The answer is a subtle no. Sharing with 3rd parties should
> raise a warning flag but only if that sharing isn’t required. The classic
> example is buying a book on Amazon.com and getting it shipped to your home.
> Amazon needs to share your home address with UPS and Privacy Icons shouldn’t
> penalize them for that necessary disclosure. In other words, Privacy Icons
> should only highlight 3rd party data sharing when you do not have a
> reasonable expectation that your data is being shared.
>
> The “should” is a major differentiator from many of the prior approaches,
> [...]

Mischa Tuffield PhD
Email: mischa.tuffield@garlik.com
Homepage - http://mmt.me.uk/
Garlik Limited, 1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW
+44(0)845 645 2824  http://www.garlik.com/