Re: size and network value

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Just a thought following todays talk.
>>>
>>> Why not get some networg graph experts to help us work out what the value of a global
>>> social web would be? There is a lot of research in the field of network theory, and there
>>> may be some interesting insights to be had from those areas.
>>
>> I agree - you think there would be someone who can judge information
>> "liquidity" as Tim Anglade put it and imagine some bright economicst
>> could figure it out.
>
> I disagree that this is worth our attempting, at least for the report.

I agree 100% with Dan here.  It's an "angels dancing on the head of a
pin" discussion.  Yes, things which follow power laws get big quickly.
 What value is added to the report by saying that?

For historical context related to Metcalfe's "law" have a look at
http://blog.simeonov.com/2006/07/26/metcalfes-law-more-misunderstood-than-wrong/
 He was talking about networks of devices, not users, with sizes in
the 3<N<12 range, not millions or billions.

Tom