Re: SocialWeb anti-pattern wiki? today's annoyance: name too long/short/weird to fit

On 19 Oct 2009, at 12:03, Tim Anglade wrote:

> While we're on the subject of stupid sign-up forms… A French friend of
> mine's last name is “Gay”. Guess how many times he's been asked to
> email a scan of his ID by a Social Networking platform?
>
> It's not just stupid syntax rules, it's also stupid, culturally-biased
> rules that need to be addressed.
>
> That being said, the issue may not be that straightforward to fix.
> Whether it's having a very short name or having an unusual one; how do
> you efficiently let people sign up freely in their own name, without
> letting the trolls roam free?

You don't base your judgement on whether someone is a troll by what
their name is, but on the quality of their relations to other people,
the content they provide, etc...

In any case trolls should be allowed to roam freely and associate with
other trolls. That way it's easy to work out what the troll network
is. And if they all host their troll info on their own servers, then
the are paying for the maintenance of their troll network, which is ok
by me.

Henry