Re: Google Wave, the role of the W3C, and maybe some neat tech work

On 10/14/09 2:28 AM, Peter Ferne wrote:
> On 9 Oct 2009, at 18:57, Harry Halpin wrote:
>
>> I'd to hear what people think about Google Wave, and the role of the
>> W3C in particular in this area.  Google has, like Peter did with
>> Jabber, committed to making Google Wave an open system, and this is
>> shown by its federation of using XMPP. The protocol is currently
>> written as a spec [1].
>
> There is also work afoot on the mailing lists to define the
> client-server protocol using XMPP (currently unspecified and based on
> protobufs). It is clearly vital to have an open standard for this too.
> Google are supportive of this idea but have said it is not a priority
> for them.

I think that people in the XMPP community will need to take the lead
here. More about that soon. :)

>> Interestingly enough, like FOAF, security is
>> provided via TLS, using a combination of URIs and ID strings. However,
>> user-data is not federated, that is, not shared with other wave
>> providers. This seems like an interesting place for FOAF/Linked Data
>> to step, as well as non-Semantic Web mechanisms like XRD-S and
>> Portable Contacts
>
> Interesting idea.

In XMPP we typically use vCards:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0054.html

I hope that we will migrate from that old format to the 4.0 XML format
before too long.

>> What do people think, or have any ideas here? Does anyone know of any
>> work in this area? Or would be interested in working on this area?
>
> I am very interested in working in this area. FWIW I am also an XSF
> member and will try to keep developments cross posted between the two
> groups as and when appropriate.

Thanks, Peter, I'll try to do the same.

Peter

- --