Re: Pre-Telecon Introductions

On 3/5/09 17:57, Harry Halpin wrote:
> Please, everyone introduce yourself over the list-serv over the
> telecon. Some people  have already done so. If you could, just give
> everyone your name, your organization if you have one, and what your
> background and hopes for the Social Web XG are.

Hello everyone :)

I'm Dan Brickley. I'm co-chairing this XG with Harry Halpin and Daniel
Appelquist, and am here under my Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
affiliation, where I work half-time on a new "social Web meets TV"
research project, NoTube. The rest of my time varies, currently I'm also
consulting with Asemantics also for the NoTube project, working for the
UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) on their AGRIS portal and
AGROVOC thesaurus, and trying to migrate the FOAF project site to a new
hosting provider. Prior to all this I spent some time at Joost, an early
Internet TV platform that included a 3rd-party widgets platform. From
1999 until 2005 I was on the W3C team, where I helped launch the
Semantic Web initiative, and get various SemWeb-related specs either
started or finished (RDF/RDFS, SKOS, POWDER). With Libby Miller in 2000,
I started the FOAF project, an experimental linked information system
inspired by TimBL's original proposal
(http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html).

My aspirations for this group:

* create an inclusive forum where diverse groups can learn about each
other's work, as well as initiate and track collaborative efforts

* identify some specific cases where small bits of focussed work can and
should be undertaken, to improve state of interop between technologies
and sites

* find ways of better linking work that happens directly within W3C, to
that which happens in less formal groups

I have some other aspirations with a FOAF hat on, which I'll send
separately...

cheers,

Dan