Re: Facebook Privacy Announcement?

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Christine Perey<cperey@perey.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regrets if this is duplication or "old news" but, in contrast with the media
> coverage (high, TechCrunch, even CBS News) I have not seen (any) traffic on
> the SWXG list about Facebook's recent (July 1) press conference/announcement
> on the topic of the Future of Privacy (I quite like the title ;-).
> Apparently this news conference was conducted shortly after our July 1 (most
> recent) meeting.
>
> Slides here [1]
>
> The first phase of this new program was a 1 week trial with 40,000 US only
> users. That should expand to 80,000 users today and be available
> internationally.
>
> Don't have time to do the in-depth research which this topic clearly
> deserves so not sure the best page to point for more information on the
> details, but I found these [2], [3] quite useful.
>
> On the same topic, have those on the list concerned with Privacy in Social
> Networks already found this paper [4] by Chris Petersen?
>
> This is his undergraduate honors thesis for the University of
> Massachusetts-Amherst Legal Studies Department
>
> Perhaps there should be some contact with him [5] or with the Chief Privacy
> Office of Facebook, Chris Kelly. Invited Speakers?
+1

If anyone can invite them, just add them to the schedule [1] and
e-mail the list. I'd like to discuss the recent moves in Facebook,
also in context of the interesting conversation we had last week with
Soren and Jonathan. Perhaps also try to figure out how this could work
into the idea of a "policy" or "privacy" commons and the Privacy
task-force?

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/Schedule