RE: MySpace Helps News Corp Lose $363 Million

From: Jonsson, Håkan 1 <Hakan1.Jonsson@sonyericsson.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:52:42 +0200
To: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>, "cperey@perey.com" <cperey@perey.com>
CC: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, "public-xg-socialweb@w3.org" <public-xg-socialweb@w3.org>

> It's unclear how widely deployed  the Open Social Web strategy has
> been for Myspace. Anyone know? I was under the impression they were
> only using a limited bit of the API last time I checked.

If you are talking about the OpenSocial APIs, then they are better than most. They do have a lot of variants and extensions but their APIs are very rich compared to most other SNS, e.g. orkut, linkedin etc, and they usually support both their own variant as well as an OpenSocial version, e.g. Portable Contacts. Also, they are the first big SNS I have seen rolling out support for OpenSocial 0.9.

/Håkan