Social Web Functionality

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 14:59:35 +0200
To: public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
On the most recent call, Harry mentioned looking at the use cases, and
trying to divide things into broader categories.

Here is my attempt:

Section 1 is basic functionality which should be covered by most nets.

Section 2 is activity based, and will have wide coverage

Section 3 is related to privacy and authentication; it's in early
stages and currently offers a few technical possibilities

Section 4 is probably the direction we're headed, but that few have
yet been able to reach, perhaps newer "next generation" networks will
focus in these areas.

The categories are quite broad, and they are not black and white,
rather a sliding scale in most cases, with a few technologies
available in each area.

1. Basic Functionality
==================

1.1 Personal Wall / Profile

1.2 Search Function

1.3 Application Framework

1.4 External API

2. Activity & Messaging
====================

2.1 Activity Streams

2.2 Realtime Messaging

2.3 Email compatible

2.4 Geo Based Functionality

3. Authentication and Privacy
========================

3.1 Single Sign On

3.2 Access Control

3.3 Strong Authentication

3.4 Data Protection

3.5 Multiple Identities ("nyms")

3.6 Trust and Reputation

4. Distributed Architecture

4.1 Machine Readable Profiles

4.2 Remote Friending

4.3 Linked Data Compatible

4.4 Allows data Sharing Across Networks (inc. delegated credentials)

Just an attempt off the top of my head.  Feel free to slice & dice or
come up with something different.

What do you think?

Thanks
Melvin