Re: CORRECTION Terminology: Data Source & Domain Ontologies

I agree with Kingsley that we should start using specific terms in our
lexicon.

During our F2F, I used the word "putative" ontology to describe the Data
Source Ontology, that is obtained through "direct mapping". Somebody also
recommend the use of "candidate ontology". This word brought a bit of
commotion because of the philosophical definition. My use of the word
putative is to describe the quality of the Data Source Ontology. A direct
mapping system will generate straight forward data source ontology (table->
class, FK -> object property, etc). The quality of this resulting ontology
is not sufficient by itself, therefore the need to map it to an Domain
ontology. However, there may be the case that if the relational schema does
portray sufficient domain semantics, then the data source ontology can be
enough. Hence the ontology is putative because you it may be semantically
rich or not, depending on your needs.

Just wanted to make this clear, from my point of view.

Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student

Research Assistant
Dept. of Computer Sciences
The University of Texas at Austin