Re: where does access time belong in the provenance dimension?

Hey Luc,

On Monday 07 December 2009 13:18:49 Luc Moreau wrote:
> [...]
> I think your reading of the OPM definition is partial. An OPM process is
> an series of
> actions performed on or caused by artifacts .... that's exactly the
> "reading" that we talk about.
>
> > do even stress that the things that are created are new. This is clearly
> > not the fact for a data item that is retrieved from the Web during a data
> > access process. Hence, in order to put data access under the Process
> > dimension requires a broader understanding of "process". For this reason,
> > I propose to adjust the wiki entry to "provenance as the process that
> > yielded an artifact."
>
> I do not see the need for a new definition here.  The downloading of a
> document from the web is a process that uses/consumes the document
> published on the web and creates a new copy on the client.

The access process creates a copy of the representation of a data item on the
client but I wouldn't say it (re)creates the data item itself - the data item
is just transferred to the client.  Hence, to me it depends on whether you
look at it at the document level or at the data level.

Olaf