Re: Joint Steering Committee for the Development of Resource Description and Access (RDA)

All

On 10 September 2011 at 16:11 Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:

> Quoting "gordon@gordondunsire.com" <gordon@gordondunsire.com>:
>
> > All
> >
> > The correct title of the organization known by the acronym JSC is "Joint
> > Steering Committee for Development of RDA" (no "the" and no
> > expansion of RDA).
> >
> > The correct title must be used in the final report, I think we'd all agree.
>
> I thought we already had:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Sep/0030.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Sep/0032.html
Both references retain, erroneously, an interpolated "the".
Seehttp://www.rda-jsc.org/

> > The correct title of the resource known by the acronym RDA is "RDA: resource
> > description and access", so the acronym is spelled out as part of the
> > correct
> > title. In most standard document styles, the first reference to RDA should
> > therefore be: "RDA: resource description and access (RDA)", with the acronym
> > "RDA" used thereafter.
>
> The lower case of that makes me think that the title cited comes from
> a library catalog entry. The RDA Toolkit lists the title as:
>
> RDA: Resource Description and Access
>
> In the report we have used title case for titles of resources, not the
> sentence case of cataloging.
OK, I was applying RDA to the title of RDA; that is, as if it were a catalog
entry. If the report style is to use title case, then "RDA: Resource Description
and Access (RDA)" is correct, and the report should be amended.

Note that the Toolkit also uses an ampersand version of the title, "RDA:
Resource Description & Access", which poses a potential dilemma for catalogers
as to which is the preferred title (but that discussion is far more appropriate
for, say, RDA-L ;-)

Cheers

Gordon