Re: Brainstorming: Key Issues

Here are some other ideas, some related to Karen's:

1) Where to start?  To convert a dataset of any significant size, we'll need
name authorities, subject thesauri, controlled vocabulary terms, etc.  If
everyone does this in isolation, minting their own URIs, etc., how is this
any better than silos of MARC records?  How do institutions the size of
University of Michigan or Stanford get access to datasets such as VIAF so
they don't have to do millions of requests every time they remodel their
data?  How do they know which dataset to look in for a particular value?
What about all of the data that won't be found in centralized datasets
(local subject headings, subject headings based on authorities with floating
terms, names not in the NAF, etc.)?

2) How do we keep the original data and linked data in sync?  If changes
happen to the linked data representation, how do we funnel that back into
the original representation?  Do we even want to?

3) The richer the data, the more complicated the dependencies: how do we
prevent rats nests of possible licensing issues (Karen raised this, as
well)?  Similarly, this web also creates an n+1 problem: there's always the
potential of a new URIs being introduced with each graph; how much is
enough?  How will a library know?

4) How do we deal with incorrect data that we don't own/manage?

5) As the graph around a particular resource improves in quality, how do
these changes propagate around to the various copies of the data?  How do
libraries deal with the changes (not only regarding conflicts, but how to
keep up with changes in the data model, with regard to indexing, etc.)?

6) Piggybacking on Karen's "chicken or the egg" problem, who will be first
to take the plunge?  What is the benefit for them to do so?  In the absence
of standards, will their experience have any influence on how standards are
created (that is, will they go through the work only to have to later retool
everything)?

-Ross.