Re: Vocabularies/dataset deliverable

On 4/20/11 1:16 PM, Jodi Schneider wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2011, at 11:57, Antoine Isaac wrote:
>>> Another topic that the report may need to cover is *finding* vocabularies; one challenge raised by the issues/recommendations subgroup is finding and selecting general-purpose vocabularies. Beyond places and persons (which are well-covered in your draft) there are events (maybe in CIDOC CRM? If so, more details on that could help!), measurements, colors, etc.
>>

>> If we manage to find categories for our items, this may be a first answer. But maybe you are refering to something else, such as giving some more guidance/pointers on tools such as http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Category:Search_Engine ?
>
> Yes, as well as pointers to vocabulary registries. In order to avoid an "RDF silo" of LLD we need to use existing vocabularies -- but that requires knowing what they are, as we describe in the recommendations draft here:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_issues_page#Identify_vocabularies_that_are_needed_to_support_the_creation_and_use_of_LLD_.5BJS.5D

OK. In our deliverable we could start by giving pointers to general registries and search engines, and then say that among the potential results of such tools, some can be seen as especially relevant, since they're related to our cases. And that the rest of the deliverable at hand provides a quick guide into these.

How does that sound?

> I was thinking of categories with the novice audience in mind--because one possible outcome is a "lookup table" of some common vocabularies, or at least something that would be easy to scan visually as a reference.
>
> I agree that categorizing is challenging!

I think we're in line on the goals, and the issue :-)
We'll see if we can come with something. Meanwhile, any idea or pointers to ideas is welcome!

Cheers,

Antoine