Re: Introductions

Hello Antoine and all others,

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Antoine Isaac wrote:

> If you could, give your name, your organization and some background. One word
> on your motivation or hope for joining the group is also much welcome!

I'm Kim Viljanen [1] from the Aalto University, School of Science and
Technology, Helsinki, Finland [2]. (Formerly known as "Helsinki University
of Technology". Name and structure of the university changed in the
beginning of this year.) I'm working as a researcher and PhD student in
the Semantic Computing Research Group (SeCo) [3] which is headed by prof.
Eero Hyvönen [4].

Our research group's focus is on machine-processable semantics, i.e., we
investigate techniques 1) for representing data and knowledge in such a
way that machines can "understand" its meaning, and 2) develop algorithmic
methods for creating intelligent applications based on such
representations. We have developed lots of Semantic Web applications, e.g..
MuseumFinland [5], CultureSampo [6], Ontology Library ONKI [7] and many
other applications, tools and ontologies [8].

My own research interests include ontology repositories (e.g. ONKI),
linked (open) data, distributed content creation and publishing, and
semantic web and web in general.

My motivation for joining the W3C Library Linked Data XG are:

   * Our research group has been working with Finnish and European
libraries, museums, archives, media companies etc in current and previous
research projects. This W3C XG fits nicely our interests in developing
common methods and building blocks.
   * Ontology repositories may be a key technology in fulfilling the goals
of linked data in libraries.
   * On the personal level, this is my first participation in any W3C
working group, so it will also be interesting to get first-hand knowledge
on how W3C works.
   * And finally, but not least, Michael Hausenblas recommended to join the
group. :)

Finally, I noticed that there will be a teleconference every week. I'll
try my best to participate actively in meetings and other work, but e.g.
during the Summer I will be on vacation (July-August) and we have lots of
projects going on currently, so my time/resources for this XG are limited.

Regards,
Kim

[1] http://www.seco.tkk.fi/u/kimvilja/
[2] http://www.tkk.fi/en/
[3] http://www.seco.tkk.fi/
[4] http://www.seco.tkk.fi/u/eahyvone/
[5] http://www.museosuomi.fi/
[6] http://www.kulttuurisampo.fi/
[7] http://www.yso.fi/
[8] http://www.seco.tkk.fi/

Kim.Viljanen@tkk.fi | +358-(0)40-5414654 | http://www.seco.tkk.fi/u/kimvilja
Semantic Computing Research Group
Aalto University, School of Science and Technology, Department of Media Technology
P.O. Box 15500, FI-00076 Aalto, Finland
Map: http://www.seco.tkk.fi/contact/
Have you tasted the Semantic Web? Check: http://www.seco.tkk.fi