RE: Wiki page on Goals

> The problem with a hypothetical DatatypeProperty called creatorFoo
> is that we wouldn't want to say that a literal string created
> something.
> Rather, the intention would be to say that the creator has a name,
> and the name is represented by a literal string.  In other words,
> creatorFoo would need to be something like a "shortcut property":
> "Resource has creator X, which has foaf:name Y".

Specifying creatorFoo (e.g. creatorLabel) as rdfs:subPropertyOf
rdfs:label (or skos:prefLabel) should make it clear this property is a
label for the creator rather than the creator itself. This could be
reinforced in the human documentation of the property. Here's the basic
idea:

ex:doc1
	x-dcterms:creatorLabel "William Shakespeare" ;
	x-dcterms:creatorRef ex:shakespeare . # and/or

ex:shakespeare an x-dcterms:Agent ;
	rdfs:label "William Shakespeare" . # skos:prefLabel should be
even better

You could recommend skos:inScheme on the ex:shakespeare resource to
indicate "authority control". This suggests it might be tempting to use
skos:Concept as the range for all ObjectProperties to minimize the
ontological commitment. This would allow others to use foaf:focus to
model reality as they see fit.

Jeff

> There are precedents for this -- e.g., foaf:schoolHomepage, which has
> domain of foaf:Person, is a shortcut for "person has school, school
> has homepage".
>
> > If this was done for all elements, then something like
> > <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> could be migrated to an owl:Ontology. I
> > assume the asymmetry of subject/subjectRef vs. creator/creatorVal
> would
> > be too discouraging for upgrading dcterms in place. If dcterms was
> > frozen, though, and development shifted to a rebranded DC-OWL with
> > subjectVal/subjectRef out-of-the-box, it might not be too onerous.
>
> I'm bookmarking these ideas to suggest for future discussion
> in the DCMI Usage Board...
>
> Tom
>

> > Jeff

If