Re: Curating the Goals of Use Cases

On 1 Dec 2010, at 09:58, Mark van Assem wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> - I'm not sure the current way to formalize goals is the best. The new
>> goal section is much less palatable than it was, I think. I'd prefer
>> keeping the original goals it as such and add some lines for the more
>> formal stuff, just below--in a new sub-section, perhaps?

Yes--I think we don't need to remove what's already there! :)

> I think analyzing which goals we're dealing with in a UC and writing a palatable text are two separate things :-)
>
> The point of the exercise would be to somehow homogenize and clarify the current texts.
>
> We can think about the result:
>
> - a newly written text for the Goals section that is based more on our abstract descriptions of the goals rather than what the UC owners put there
a second, and probably unneeded step

> - keep text as-is but add abstract goals

This makes sense, I think. :)

> - ...
>
>> (front-end or back end aspects alike). Perhaps worse, many seem to apply
>> to every case, which could make it less relevant to identify them.
>> Anyway, let's continue the exercise and see. The process is certainly
>> useful.
>
> It is my feeling that many of the cases are just indeed very overlapping. In all cases you need to port some existing data to an RDF format, so stuff like URIs pop up everywhere. In all cases you want to publish that data as LD. In all cases you then want to provide access to this data.
>
> I actually think this is a feature, not a bug. It shows there's actually one coherent story we want to tell, instead of 40 different ones (UCs). Only the details of representation and usage are different.

I think that those details will come in handy: while the technical underpinnings may be the same the (library) business use cases and ways of talking about the uses are different.

-Jodi