Re: is FRBR relevant?

Hi everyone,

> [snip] This is because aboutness is a very broad
> concept, which leads me to....
>
>> In FRSAD <http://www.ifla.org/node/1297> , owl:Thing is analogous to
>> frsad:Thema and skosxl:Label is analogous to frsad:Nomen.
>
> Is this stated anywhere in the FRSAD documentation? I ask because I read
> frsad:Thema as being narrower than owl:Thing. FRSAD defines Thema as:
>
> Thema: any entity used as a subject of a work
>
> This is pretty broad, but it only pertains to owl:Thing(s) that are the
> subjects of works (with Work being defined in FRBR). In theory, there
> will be owl:Thing(s) that are not the subjects of works.

+1.

> frsad:Nomen still puzzles me a bit. It is defined as:
>
> Nomen: any sign or sequence of signs (alphanumeric characters, symbols,
> sound, etc.) that a thema is known by, referred to, or addressed as.
>
> And on page 18 it says:
>
> Nomen is a superclass of the FRAD entities name, identifier, and
> controlled access point.
>
> I think this knocks it out of the skosxl:Label category, doesn't it?

Nomen could still be a super-class of skosxl:Label, which is already nice-to-have :-)

> I still don't get how skos-xl would "fix" LCSH. To begin with, I'm not
> sure that the use of #concept in LCSH in RDF refers to the subject
> heading. I suspect that you could argue that the authority entry
> represents a concept, and that the "heading" is simply a prefLabel. Do
> you see it differently?

I second this: the LCSH RDF main entities are clearly concepts--their being in semantic relationship with other entities is a strong hint.
But for the sake of data richness, there could be later some SKOS XL resources next to them. That would allow to represent labels with in a finer grain. E.g., ell these MARC tags which indicate the different parts of a label are lost now. Some of these tags represent things which apply to the conceptual level (coordination) but others are mere lexical items, imho. I am generally in favor of concept-centric approaches like SKOS, but sometimes applying it implies throwing out a lot of the legacy term-based baby with the bath water :-)

Cheers,

Antoine