RE: is FRBR relevant?

William,

I believe a solution for this already exists. This HTTP URI identifies WWII as a concept in LCSH:

http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85148273#concept

The LC Subject Heading for this concept can be obtained by doing an HTTP GET on this URI with an "Accept" header of application/rdf+xml. If content-negotiation is inconvenient, you can access the RDF/XML representation directly using this HTTP URI:

http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85148273.rdf

In the response, you will find the LCSH heading for the concept:

<http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85148273#concept> a skos:Concept ;
	skos:prefLabel "World War, 1939-1945 .

Jeff