Re: [georss] Geospatial Incubator Group

Hi Josh,

There's ample evidence that anything 'sufficiently expressive'  beyond
point descriptions will be sufficiently complex enough to be
controversial and laborius to settle. (e.g. geometry, topology, and real
world object descriptions.)

The good news is that the Springer Book: 'The Geospatial Web - How
Geo-Browsers, Social Software and the Web 2.0 are Shaping the Network
Society' - http://en.know-center.at/geoweb/ and the Ordinance Survey
conference:  Terra Cognita 2006 -
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/partnerships/research/research/terracognita.html
are going to provoke a significant bodies of new thinking on the larger
problems of  spatial semantics

No need to shy away from the interesting problems, let's just take care
of the least complex case first: setting a consensus description of
point cooordinates.

There is a bit of urgency to move forward on this task. Although
Microsoft, and ESRI  and Yahoo have all announced geoRSS support,
Google is raging foward with  serious momentum for their own
approaches.  In order to prevent forking and balkanazation we need to
consolidate our considerable gains  asap, sufficiently to coax Google to
interoperate, and the others to formalize their committments to a point
code, and a process for normalizing more complex geospatial semantic
structures.

Mike