Re: lat/long as float

As Mike is suggesting, the semantics of a lat/long coordinate should be
clearly expressed. The following description is what is being used in
various IETF draft RFCs and is being used in OASIS for any of their
standards that require the specification of location as lat/long. This
description may be of use here. Some argue that it is a bit long, but one of
the quirks of obtaining interoperability in the geospatial domain is that
semantic clarity is mandatory.

Regards

Carl
OGC

All coordinates in this profile shall, as a default, be expressed as
Latitude Longitude (in that order) as decimal degrees white space separated.
Please note that if another CRS is specified, such as UTM, GML supports the
ability to express coordinates in any CRS.

In the case of Latitude Longitude, the following clarification applies:

  a.. Values for latitude and longitude shall be expressed as decimal
fractions of degrees.

  a.. Whole degrees of latitude shall be represented by a decimal number
ranging from 0 through 90.  Whole degrees of longitude shall be represented
by a decimal number ranging from 0 through 180.  When a decimal fraction of
a degree is specified, it shall be separated from the whole number of
degrees by a decimal point (the period character, ".").  Decimal fractions
of a degree should be expressed to the precision available, with trailing
zeroes being used as placeholders if required.  A decimal point is optional
where the precision is less than one degree. Some effort should be made to
preserve the apparent precision when converting from another datum or
representation, for example 41 degrees 13 minutes should be represented as
41.22 and not 41.21666, while 41 13' 11" may be represented as 41.2197.

  a.. Latitudes north of the equator MAY be specified by a plus sign (+), or
by the absence of a minus sign (-), preceding the designating degrees.
Latitudes south of the Equator MUST be designated by a  minus sign (-)
preceding the digits designating degrees.  Latitudes on the Equator MUST be
designated by a latitude value of 0.

  a.. Longitudes east of the prime meridian shall be specified by a plus
sign (+), or by the absence of a minus sign (-), preceding the designating
degrees.  Longitudes west of the prime meridian MUST be designated by a
minus sign (-) preceding the digits designating degrees. Longitudes on the
prime meridian  MUST be designated by a longitude value of 0.  A point on
the 180th meridian shall be taken as 180 degrees West, and shall include a
minus sign.