Re: Quote of the day

On 14 May 2011 10:24, Markus Sabadello <markus.sabadello@gmail.com> wrote:
> "A community will evolve only when a people control their own communication"
> -- Frantz Fanon

Nice.

That hints at one of the reasons I find 'federated social Web' an
awkward framing of the problems we're addressing.

The use of political language is interesting, but it suggests that the
'federation' we're concerned with is one about relations between big
social sites (canonically Twitter, Facebook, Myspace,
Friendster-as-was and so on). The real action ought to focus on the
groups and individuals who use all these sites, not the 'federation'
of sites they're using. If Twitter and Facebook make a partnership,
that's great and all but I don't want the future of group
communication to be beholden to the whims of product managers and
CEOs...

cheers,

Dan