Da: Harry Halpin [mailto:hhalpin@w3.org]
Inviato: venerdì 5 agosto 2011 1.30
A: Goix Laurent Walter
Cc: public-xg-federatedsocialweb@w3.org; Venezia Claudio; Vadala' Francesco
Oggetto: Re: OMA White Paper on social networks

OMA folks (in particular Goix Laurent Walter),

  Thanks, first great white paper! While after our conference, at least me (and perhaps some others in the Federated Social Web XG) went on vacation for the summer, we're getting ready to kick back into gear and started out by reading your white paper.  I've forwarded your liaison request to W3C management.

 I've got a few questions:

1) You mention lots of interfaces (MSN-1 and 4,5 in particular). After reading your report, while I agreed with most of the recommendations, I could not tell if you were planning on getting new APIs work. If so, we should make sure all the APIs work with DAP and other related APIs ala OpenSocial.

[walter] In general, should they be called "API" or generic interfaces, our intention is to maximize the reuse of existing specifications instead of defining our owns (where applicable). Of course, in this process, both technical and legal (licensing) feasibility should be tackled, which is precisely what we would like to do with this group on the federation aspect (mostly MSN-3). On the technical side, we should thus verify whether our use cases and requirements can be met by existing specs, and where not perfectly addressed, possibly work together to improve them to match.
MSN-4 is meant to be a "Device API" (the OpenSocial Gadget API is a candidate for it), whilst MSN-1 is expected to be the related client-server protocol (OpenSocial Server API is a candidate for it). MSN-5 is expected to be a push interface.

2) Also, what we had difficulty determining was how to treat the special features of mobile phones (geolocation comes to mind immediately). This may be related to MSN-2.

[walter] good point. Geolocation is a key feature that we see on mobile SN applications. At this stage we considered geolocation as a "parallel" feature/api to ours, meaning the combination of both is a matter of applications. It would be difficult to automatically imply (or mandate) that MobSocNet APIs use Location APIs (also when asking user's permissions). At the same time, MobSocNet interfaces could allow for geolocation data to be used (e.g. added to activity posts, used as query parameter, etc)

So in general keep us updated. Co-ordinating API work is always useful.

On a minor note, I noticed as regards talking about "relationships" you seemed to lean towards FOAF. You mean "kinds of relationships", i.e. a taxonomy of relationships? If you just mean a list of contacts, perhaps you should consider PortableContacts or the latest vCard as well (which can be transformed to RDF). I know DAP is working on mapping FOAF-vCard-Portable Contacts.

[walter] relationships were widely discussed internally. At this stage only very limited "standard" support for relationship is expected (follow/friend or similar). There is currently no assumption on whether and how these will be represented: FOAF is cited in the whitepaper as candidate, but newer/better technologies could be adopted. It would be good if you could point us to updates and details on this activity.

   cheers,
          harry