Re: thesauri alignment using lexical analysis of overlaps

Paola,

Yes there is quite a bit of research going on with lexical analysis
itself, but I wonder how easy it would be to leverage in a short
period of time.  When they discuss automatic Lexical Alignment they
have 4 parts (shown below) and a lot of the work is on the first one,
the lexical part and the extensional.  It;s harder to automate the
Background knowledge part...so still work for ontologists.  What I was
talking about is getting some knowledge out the descriptions using
NLP, itself a hard problem.

Gary

Lexical
labels and textual information of entities

Structural
structure of the formal definitions of entities, position in the
hierarchy

Extensional
statistical information of instances, i.e., objects indexed with
entities

Background knowledge
using a shared conceptual reference to find links indirectly

--
Gary Berg-Cross,Ph.D.
gbergcross@gmail.com      http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GaryBergCross