Re: Minutes for April 21 Backplane telecon

On  24-Apr-2009, at 22:49 , Charles F Wiecha wrote:
> 3. we brainstormed briefly the role of SMIL in the scenario and
> await further inputs from Jack on this point. In general, the demo
> implementation would be ready to start using some SMIL Ubiquity
> implementation within a few weeks...

Things are going _very_ slow at my side. We did an Ambulant micro-
release (to get it out of the way), but it turned out to take 2 weeks
in stead of the anticipated 1 day:-( And my other main project is also
demanding much more time than anticipated, plus Fons (the other person
expected to be working on the JS SMIL implementation) has been 100%
busy with writing a paper.

So, the chances of a "real" SMIL implementation, even with only very
limited functionality, being available within a few weeks is pretty
much zero.

That raises the question of how important SMIL support within a couple
of weeks is going to be for your progress. If it's important we either
have to rig up something based on the strawman implementation I have,
or have some hand-coded javascript as a placeholder. If it's not in
the critical path we could leave it until I have something real
working (which I now expect to be not before end of june, mid july).

The strawman does have an advantage: it would allow us to experiment
with how we can connect SMIL with the other technologies, probably
based on something like relevance, without bothering too much about
code quality, as we're going to throw it away anyway. But there's a
potential disadvantage in that you might want to use all sorts of
esoteric SMIL features (excl comes to mind) that would need to be
implemented in the strawman, with probably little chance to reuse the
code later.

Goldman