Re: Backplane Agenda for Tuesday, August 19

Yes, those are XPath variables created as a side effect of the implied
binds generated from the calculate expressions.  The nice thing about them
is the evalution context is one level above what is typical in XForms
calculates -- hence avoiding the need for notation like calculate="../Price
* ../Quantity" which would essentially be a non-starter for HTML4 authors.

Thanks, Charlie

Charles Wiecha
Manager, Multichannel Web Interaction
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
P.O. Box 704
Yorktown Heights, N.Y.  10598
Phone: (914) 784-6180, T/L 863-6180, Cell: (914) 320-2614
wiecha@us.ibm.com

         Re: Backplane Agenda for Tuesday, August 19

         Jack Jansen
                    to:
                      Charles F Wiecha
                                                                08/19/08 09:53 AM

         Cc:
            "public-xg-app-backplane"

On 18 aug 2008, at 15:50, Charles F Wiecha wrote:

> For further background on point (1) below, here's a link to the
> Simplified
> Syntax topic at the Ubiquity project...Charlie
>
> http://code.google.com/p/ubiquity-xforms/wiki/StorySimplifiedSyntax

Nifty!

One question, in the canonical XForms there's a lot of constructs of
the form
             <calculate context=".." value="Price * Quantity" or "$Price *

$Quantity"/>

This doesn't look like XML to me, and also I don't understand where
the $name variable references suddenly come from. At least: I assume
that these are supposed to be the funny XPath VariableReference things
that live in their own namespace, right?
--
Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack,
Goldman