The load Element, and more

From: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:23:39 -0700
To: XForms <public-xformsusers@w3.org>
All,

In "14.21 The load Element" [1], I don't think it is clear what to do if
there is a single-item binding but the binding resolves to the empty
sequence.

Arguably the binding is then "present", so the action would NOT fallback to
the `resource` attribute or element.

XForms 1.1 clearly said that the action would have no effect in this case.
[2]

So: no effect, or error, or fallback to `resource`?

Incidentally, it also said that the action would have no effect if both
ways of specifying are there: "If the Single Node Binding is given in
addition to one of the resource attribute or resource element, then the
action has no effect." This was removed too, for some reason.

Related, my reading of the XForms 2.0 text for "the output Element" [3]
seems to allow `value` AND `ref`, which would then require `value` to
evaluate in the context of the single-node binding. Am I right?

If so, it could make sense for `xf:load` to allow evaluating its `resource`
attribute, which can be an AVT, in the context of its single-node binding
as well, since I think that's what we ended up deciding.

-Erik

[1]
https://www.w3.org/community/xformsusers/wiki/XForms_2.0#The_load_Element
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/xforms11/#action-load