Re: Email type

(On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:24:46 +0200, Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
wrote:

> What would the rationale be for allowing leading and trailing spaces?

Two-fold:

1) When I type in the To: field of my mailer (using _ to make spaces
visible)

    To: _robin@example.com_

the mail gets sent without problems. There is no ambiguity.

2) When I copy and paste addresses into a web form, I often get told that
the email is invalid, and I end up to staring at it for some seconds
before I realise that there's a space at the end.

As Michael points out, we have the whitespace MIP if you want to get rid
of any spurious spaces, but I'm not sure we should require the user to
have to do the work.

On the other hand, we don't use the same document trick as XML to allow
spaces before and after numbers, so my complaint about copying and pasting
is true for numbers as well...

Steven