W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xformsusers@w3.org > May 2017

Re: @incremental

From: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 22:57:54 -0700
Message-ID: <CAAc0PEXoiGLZRd+pBEAnnG3poWh8jT7SCGRyDQX2k7fC-DOu+w@mail.gmail.com>
To: Philip Fennell <Philip.Fennell@marklogic.com>
Cc: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, XForms <public-xformsusers@w3.org>
I agree that the incremental mode appears designed primarily for text input.

The range control is an interesting case. I can see how, if the control is
operated by a mouse or finger grabbing a slider, the value could update
continually as you move the slider, or only as you stop grabbing it. It
would probably be ok to use `incremental` to switch the behavior, and also
for the default to be non-incremental in this case too.

Do other controls come to mind? It doesn't seem very relevant to radio
buttons, checkboxes, dropdown menus, and others. For those, setting the
value upon a change of selection seems reasonable to me.

-Erik

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Philip Fennell <Philip.Fennell@marklogic.com
> wrote:

> Steven,
>
> What you say makes sense. However, as an XForms user rather than an
> implementer I’ve taken it on face value that it only has useful meaning for
> controls that take keyboard entry like input or textarea and never thought
> much more about it. That said, you may want to explicitly set
> incremental="false" on a range control so I can only assume that it’s
> default in this case would be true. Is that correct or do I have to
> explicitly set ‘true’ to ensure a live update?
>
>
> Philip
>
>
>
> On 09/05/2017, 15:47, "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
>
>     "incremental
>       Author-optional attribute that defines when instance data is updated
> by a
>     control. Controls with bindings normally update the instance data when
> the
>     control loses focus. When true, this attribute indicates that the
> control
>     should update the instance data more often, thereby generating
> additional
>     xforms-value-changed events. In incremental mode, an implementation may
>     buffer sequences of changes happening in quick succession, and apply
> them
>     all at once. The default value for this attribute is false. Although
> this
>     attribute is available for all controls, in some cases there may be no
>     perceivable difference between incremental and non-incremental mode."
>     https://www.w3.org/community/xformsusers/wiki/XForms_2.0#
> Common_attribute_and_content_sets
>
>     I think that the default value is wrongly described. In fact many
> controls
>     are incremental, in the sense that something happens without the
> control
>     losing focus.
>
>     Non-incremental:
>        input, secret, textarea
>        upload?
>
>     Incremental:
>        output
>        range (?)
>        trigger/submit
>        select/1
>
>     What do you think?
>
>     Steven
>
>
>
>
Received on Wednesday, 10 May 2017 05:58:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:37:48 UTC