Re: Get the values of an element and combine them

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 19:10:10 +0100, John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> A couple of minor points:
> 1) It's typically better to use xforms-model-construct-done so that the
> data values are available to the UI when it is first created, rather
> than having any >kind of value change.
In fact this example revealed to me a place where I would like *really* to
have an event: after instance construction, but before recalc etc are done.

> 2) The reason I don't usually push this approach is that, you're right,
> it doesn't account for many use cases in the lifecycle of the data.  For
> example:- If a new result is obtained from a REST or web service by an
> xforms submission, then the xforms submit done must also do the same
> copy operations- Similar issue if someone does a setvalue on the spatial
> datum, they must do parallel setvalue operations on the instance data-
> Schema validity results for the spatial datum do not transfer to the
> controls bound to temporary instance data into which copies have been
> made.- Model item properties like readonly, required, constraint placed
> on the spatial datum do not transfer, and so must be recoded as more
> binds- If this construct is within a repeat, then all of these special
> cases have increased complexity in light of row insertions
I think you're being too negative. The root of the problem is unstructured
data. Whoever designed the format

    <dcterms:spatial xsi:type="dcterms:Point">east=456;
north=123;</dcterms:spatial>

should be forced to attend the beginners class on how to structure data in
XML. It should be at least

    <dcterms:spatial
or
    <dcterms:spatial xsi:type="dcterms:Point" east="456" north="123"/>

but hiding the data in a string is ghastly.

But my approach is to construct a proper XML instance from the
unstructured data right at the start, and then treat the data as it should
be treated. You can keep the unstructured data alive with a bind, and that
can be your return value.

Steven