Re: Is the padlock a page security score?

No, no one would be responsible because it says 90%.  That means there's
a 10% chance of something bad happening.  Guess what?  That 10% was
realized.

This is exactly why no one is going to say a website is 100% secure,
because there's no way of knowing.  And if we say that no website is
100% secure, this is going confuse users and dilute the indicator.

There currently are no indicators out there that guarantee a website is
100% secure (i.e. indicators issued by someone other than the website
owner).  That would be an insane business move because of the liability
attached.

This is also applies to the opposite case: web browser phishing warnings
that block a page are only issued once the website has been verified.  A
company would have to be damn sure of their heuristics if their process
is entirely automated and without oversight.  A site that is incorrectly
  accused of being a phishing website may sue for defamation or libel.

serge

--
/*
PhD Candidate

Legislative Concerns Chair
National Association of Graduate-Professional Students
*/