From: William Eburn
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:33 PM
To: 'Anil Saldhana'; public-wsc-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: Is the padlock a page security score?

Hello all,

As you may know, HiSoftware has content and application testing tools
around privacy, security, accessibility, general content quality,
corporate branding, and several factors of site quality.

I am concerned that if we give some de facto score but do not consider
the content or application, then would I not as a user of the browser
that gave me the information have the right to sue their corporation if
I went to a site, the score said 90% reliable and I entered all my PII
and the next user saw that it was 90% secure -- knew that the scoring
system was flawed because it didn't consider the content, or the
application and in this case used a simple SQL Injection to grab all the
PII out of the system (including mine), then opened multiple bank
accounts, got car loans, and did whatever, causing me great harm.  While
it's true I was able to cancel the charges as being fraudulent, it took
over a year to do so.  Would the company that provided the page score be
responsible in a court of law?

Please note, this would be different depending on which country you were
in.

I think, from our perspective the education of the user to the state of
the different security indicators is important but for us to assign any
value judgment on them would at best, be foolish.  Immediately we could
never assign 100%, because as part of the working group we've already
said that we aren't examining the content or application being viewed by
the user agent.  So it would be my vote to eliminate the idea of a page
score entirely.  What I'm suggesting is that we show them the
information, educate the user as to what it means, but assign no value.

This is just my two cents on the page score topic.

Thanks,
Bill