Re: ISSUE-170: 6.3 Seems more like extension/experimentation than standardization [wsc-xit]

Hi,

>From the "Overview" section of [wsc-xit] ( http://www.w3.org/TR/wsc-xit/
), I read this:

"This specification deals with the trust decisions that users must make
online, and with ways to support them in making safe and informed
decisions where possible. "

In my opinion, boiling down a bunch of very intricate, security-related
information, into something that people using user agents are more able to
comprehend (e.g. some value between 0 and 100, 0 is bad, 100 is good) will
definitely help them to make a more informed decision.  More informed than
waiting for these users to understand what constitutes a self-signed
certificate or whether that certificate is expired or not and what that
might or might not mean.

I, personally, continue to feel that this recommendation has merit.

Note that I see that there are now two low-fi prototype scoring
calcuations.  One I proposed to the mailing list last week as well as this
one - in the wiki:
http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/wiki/RecommendationDisplayProposals/PageScore
I don't think either of them is perfect.  But I think they both serve to
give us an idea of what such a score would provide to users of user
agents.

Regards,
Tim Hahn
IBM Distinguished Engineer

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
phone: 919.224.1565     tie-line: 8/687.1565
fax: 919.224.2530