  • From: Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:24:00 +1100
  • Subject: Re: amsl.com certificate?
  • To: Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com>
  • Cc: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>, James Galvin <galvin+ietf@elistx.com>
The default setting in Firefox (and possibly safari) is to use OCSP for
validation of certificates where OCSP is referenced. The *.ietf.org
certificate has as part of the Authority Information Field the value;
OCSP: URI: http://ocsp.starfieldtech.com

This url is unreachable from many non-US sites, for reasons known only
to Godaddy I presume.

The pragmatic workaround in firefox is to set the option to not using
OCSP for certificate validation.

Geoff