Re: ACTION-406: Petname burden

So, is this something you can do? What are the next steps?

From:
Maritza Johnson <maritzaj@cs.columbia.edu>
To:
Mary Ellen Zurko <Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com>
Cc:
Timothy Hahn <Timothy_Hahn%IBMUS%LOTUS@notesdev.ibm.com>, W3 Work Group
<public-wsc-wg@w3.org>, "Tyler J. Close" <tyler.close@hp.com>
Date:
04/02/2008 10:24 AM
Re: ACTION-406: Petname burden

here's one suggestion on a UT experiment.

Should the UT be designed to quantify the cognitive burden of Petname or
other aspects too?

Though I'm not sure this one can be reswizzled easily into something
that's an easy lo fi prototype to run. Could it be something like: Explain
the petname concept to people (learning about it is not the question).
Show them some example sites, and ask them what petname they would choose.
(Maybe get one site from them they regularly go to? Maybe use a large
selection and select the subset they either regularly visit or at least
know of?) Get back with them after some period of time. Show them some
sites, some with pet names, some without. Ask them if it all seems right
to them. I'm fudging this last bit a little.

Expanding on your ideas. We could have something like:

First session:

1) Ask the participant to list the sites they go to on a regular basis. We
can offer a sample list to prod them in the right direction, something
like: webmail, blogs, news sites, my bank, my credit card, my school/work
website.

2) Explain the petname concept

3) Ask them to select the sites from their list they would assign a
petname to. This will give us an idea of whether they understand the
purpose of petname (of course taking into account that they were _just_
given instructions).

Either on paper or with a quick functional prototype of petname (maybe
something like what tlr suggested in another email thread with the ff3
bookmark interface) ask them to assign petnames to each of the ones they
chose. If they indicated they would use petname for a site that wouldn't
need it we can ask more questions for iteration purposes.

If their initial list is representative of the sites they really interact
with this step will give us a good idea of how many petnames a user will
have to remember, then we might be able to talk more precisely about
whether the cognitive load is appropriate or not.

Session 2: (I'm also less certain what to do in this part)

Based on their previously selected petnames we can show them sites with
and without petnames, or their sites with the a petname similar to but
different than the one they chose (which might not be fair since they
haven't interacted with petnames in between sessions, but we could also
have the time between sessions just be a couple days).

Have a post-study questionnaire asking how they felt about using petnames

thoughts?

-- Maritza