Re: ISSUE-117 (serge): Eliminating Faulty Recommendations [All]

Yes. I would add teeing up an agenda item with me to have the group
discussion on it, when you're ready.

          Mez

From:
Maritza Johnson <maritzaj@cs.columbia.edu>
To:
Mary Ellen Zurko <Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com>
Cc:
Web Security Context Working Group WG <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
Date:
11/20/2007 10:16 AM
Re: ISSUE-117 (serge): Eliminating Faulty Recommendations [All]

Late apologies for missing the call on this ... I've been running a user
study for another project the past two weeks and my schedule's been
dictated by when people can show up for sessions (I know, lame excuse, but
it's tough to recruit participants). The work is related to our group and
I plan to share the results as soon as I hear back from Steve about when
and how much I can say.

I bring up the ISSUE-112 here as well because I do not want anyone wasting
time doing any user studies if the results will be discounted by the group
during discussions. That would be unfair and disrespectful. My advice is
that for any user study done specifically for this group, we specify ahead
of time what we're doing, what sort of outcomes might be expected, and how
that should influence our recommendation. We then discuss _that_ and get
group consensus on the trajectory and impact of a user study before
actually running it. If we can run this process with something modest
soon, it can helpfully provide input to anything more resource intensive
we do later, and see if that's a reasonable way to integrate them into our
work.

Reading over the minutes about this issue again, I noticed Serge has an
action item to begin going through the recommendations, I guess to do a
more thorough job of what we started in July, maybe to produce tangible
action items out of the process?

In agreement with what Mez said above and in response to Tim's followup on
my comments about Browser Lockdown <
http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/track/actions/305 >, I've given myself an
action item <http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/track/actions/345> to come up with
a user study design that will begin to evaluate the unknowns for the
recommendation.

I'll write up a study that will mostly consist of a questionnaire with the
goal of collecting data on whether or not users can be relied on the
choose the right mode given a certain task. It will also be designed to
gather feedback on how users might react to being blocked from accessing a
site.

I'll address the points Mez has made above the best I can and post it to
the list in hopes of generating useful discussion on refining the study.

Mez -- is this what you had in mind for moving forward?

-- Maritza