Re: Action-85: Wildcard certs and virtual hosts

On 12-Feb-07, at 10:33 PM, Chuck Wade wrote:

> What is the relevance of all of this to the WSC group? Mostly it is
> a matter of interpreting how any of this might be portrayed to the
> user of a browser that has surfed to a Web site that uses a
> wildcard cert. In almost all cases, the user never needs to know if
> the site's cert contains a wildcard CN or not. There have been some
> arguments in the past that wildcard certs might not be as secure as
> certs containing fully qualified domain names. However, these
> concerns are secondary, or even tertiary. What does matter is that
> the user should not be confronted with decisions about whether or
> not to accept a Web session based on the use of a wildcard cert.

I would agree. It can be part of some deeper security context /
signals that get exposed, but I don't see any need for it on the
front-end. As I understand it, though, wildcard certs are often
considered by the security community to be on the same level as self-
signed or "internal use" certs.

Do we know of any CAs that issue them?

> There is one other issue that may be relevant to this group, and
> that is whether or not EV certs will be allowed to have wildcarded
> CNs? I'll have to defer to others on this list for clarification of
> this point as well as elucidation of the potential impact on
> browsers and user interfaces.

Not according to the most recent draft of the EV Certificate
Guidelines (Draft 11):

D.6.(a).(2).: "Wildcard certificates are not allowed for EV
certificates."

cheers,
mike