RE: One laptop per child project security model.

I agree and this is what we are trying to accomplish when we recommend a
safe browsing mode

-----Original Message-----
From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Mike Beltzner
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 9:04 AM
To: public-wsc-wg@w3.org
Cc: dan.schutzer@fstc.org
Subject: Re: One laptop per child project security model.

It seems to me that what OLPC is doing is very similar to what Tyler's group
is doing at HP with their Polarized applications.

I definitely think that our goal should be to figure out ways to protect
users without asking questions. Sandboxing connections, not allowing one
context to reach another, generally assuming that web pages don't need
access to each other's data -- all great starts.

Where it doesn't help us is with attacks that use spoofing and identity
fraud; but there are still lessons to be learned here, such as avoiding
dialogs wherever possible, focusing on user task, and trying to make smart
choices on the user's behalf so they don't have the ability to shoot
themselves in the foot.

cheers,
mike