Re: No Padlock OID

The (certificate) user being the TLS server here? Or user as
in relying party?

I don't see what the CA's wishes have to do with what the GUI
should show the RP. If something helps the user, then sure,
but not everything that the CA wants is in the RPs best
interests.

In the case in point the private key holder, if a bad guy,
can circulate copies of the private key, so the quality of
the authentication at the RP is under the private key
holder's control just as much as if a TLS extension were
used. Or if the bad guy server prefers a simple life, they
just acquire a cert without that OID...I'm sure some CA
with a root in the browser will do that for a few more
(or less) €.

Maybe we need to be clearer about what we're trying to
achieve and for whose benefit.

S.