ISSUE-46: widely deployed baseline, yes; usage and presentation, yes (pubic comment)

Issue 46 has been corrected.

Subject:  widely deployed baseline, yes; usage and presentation, yes
(From pubic comment)
was
Subject: define extension interface for content-scanning tools

________________________________

	From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Mary Ellen Zurko
	Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:43 PM
	To: Web Security Context WG
	Subject: Re: ISSUE-46: define extension interface for
content-scanning tools (public comment)

	Under "New security information", this is out of scope.

	          Mez

	Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l
333-6389)
	Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

Web Security Context Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org>
Sent by: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org

04/15/2007 11:05 AM
Please respond to
Web Security Context WG <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>

public-wsc-wg@w3.org
cc
Subject
ISSUE-46: define extension interface for content-scanning tools (public
comment)

	ISSUE-46: define extension interface for content-scanning tools
(public comment)

	http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/Group/track/issues/46

	Raised by: Bill Doyle
	On product: Note: use cases etc.

	>From public comments
	raised by: Al Gilman Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org

	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-usable-
	authentication/2007Apr/0000.html

	define extension interface for content-scanning tools
	where it says, in 5.5 Content based detection
	The Working Group will not recommend any checks on
	  the content served by web sites.
	please consider
	I don't think that you mean people shouldn't check signatures
on signed
	content.  What I think that you mean is that the filter queries
or trip
	thresholds
	for statistical techniques such as you discuss will not be
published by the
	group.

	You should consider providing a programmatic interface (perhaps
a hypothesis
	lattice compatible with what a voice recognizer looks like in
EMMA) for such
	tools to contribute to rational decision making about when to
raise a warning,
	and in addition an interface where they can contribute
message-content to the
	security infoset.
	Why?
	The free-content areas drive trust.  Confidence schemes work in
this domain.
	So there is an enduring value-added niche for such techniques.
The group
	should seek to define interfaces whereby third-party software
can contribute
	its findings to the rollup summarized by your recommended
presentation.
	Otherwise we will continue with the plethora of security
helpers waving
	plackards in our faces.