From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Stuart E. Schechter
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 10:06 AM
To: 'Web Security Context WG'
Cc: Dan Schutzer
Subject: Re: DNSSEC indicator

This is the proposal I first discussed at the W3C meeting at Citibank in
March of last year.  I'd be happy to share the draft individually with
working group participants, but I haven't received approval to post it
on publicly archived lists.

The proposal adds a new record to the domain name system.  Browsers can
query the DNS for this record before contacting a named site, just as
they would query the address record for the site.  If the record is
present and certain flags are set, browsers will activate HTTPS before
initiating a web connection to the site's domain name.  Users are thus
freed from the responsibility of activating HTTPS or ensuring that HTTPS
was activated.

The proposal is closely tied to DNSSEC because DNSSEC protects this
records against attacks that would modify it or make it appear to be
absent.

Cheers

Stuart