Re: Shared Public Knowledge

I agree that knowledge-based authentication does
have a legitimate role to play in identity
authentication, but (IMHO) only for initially
helping to establish someone's identity when no
prior business relationship exists.   KBA should
only be used infrequently, because the underlying
assumption on which it is based is fundamentally
flawed; namely that there is information about
each of us that is "secret" and that would be
difficult for an identity thief to
obtain.  Although I would agree that this
assumption may be true enough most of the time to
make KBA useful in certain circumstances, the
ChoicePoint breach (and others too numerous to
mention) demonstrates how apparently common it is
for this "secret" information to be leaked.

I think a better long term approach for identity
authentication, especially when initially
establishing one's identity with some entity for
purposes of opening new accounts etc., might be
to rely on a trusted third party Identity
Provider to vouch for your identity in situations
where you are initially unknown to the
entity.  This is the idea on which Microsoft's
CardSpace Managed Cards is based.  If Managed
Cards were to become widely available from
various IdPs, you presumably could go to an
Identity Provider (possibly a bank or other FI)
and rigorously establish your identity using KBA,
paper documents, or whatever else is deemed to be
sufficient.  The IdP would issue you a Managed
Card, together with credentials for subsequent
authentication when you desire to use the Managed
Card to assert your identity to some relying
party (provided the relying party entity where
you need to establish your identity trusts the
IdP).  So rather than having to verify your
identity using KBA or knowledge of a SSN or
whatever at each site where you are unknown, you
establish your identity once at the IdP and then
use Managed Cards from that point onward.

As an example of how this might be useful,
consider the website annualcreditreport.com,
where you can go (in the US) to get a free credit
report each year from the three credit
bureaus.  After asking for the usual identity
information (name, birthdate, SSN, etc.), the
site asks some knowledge-based questions.  In my
experience, these seem to be mostly mortgage or
credit card-related questions.  Imagine instead
that you could choose some Managed Card to assert
your identity to annualcreditreport.com.  You
choose the appropriate Managed Card and then must
authenticate yourself to the IdP, using some
strong mutual authentication scheme.  The IdP
then issues a token that you pass along to
annualcreditreport.com, and that asserts your identity to the site.

There are issues with using third party IdPs in
this way, namely liability issues and a viable
business model, but in concept this is
interesting.  Wells Fargo in particular is an IdP
in the GSA's E-Authentication federation, but
whether it could be a viable IdP for
consumer-based CardSpace-type applications is (I assume) not yet established.

Bob Pinheiro