Re: extending SAWSDL for XML instance semantic models

Hi Ken,

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 06:20:48PM -0400, Ken Laskey wrote:
> SAWSDL  provides a way to annotate the elements and attributes of an
> XML schema but I am also interested annotating the values in an
> instance of a schema document.  For example, section 4.1 of the SAWSDL
> Rec includes
> <xs:simpleType name="Confirmation"
>   sawsdl:modelReference="http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/sawsdl/spec/ontology/purchaseorder#OrderConfirmation
> ">
>   ?
> </xs:simpleType>
> So I know what Confirmation means.  But if in the instance document I
> have
>
> <Confirmation> partial </Confirmation>
>
> how do I express a semantic model for the value partial?  partial may
> be a perfectly valid value from another vocabulary that is not
> included in the semantic model of Confirmation.
>
> In practice, there is always a lot of attention paid to codifying the
> XML tags but in order to do an effective search, I also need to know
> the semantics of the target criteria.

If I understand your question correctly, you want to make sure that
this "partial" is a valid value for this <Confirmation>?
Nothing prevents the use of a more complete ontology in the model
reference that describes more semantics about <Confirmation>, so that you
perform more checks on its content. SAWSDL does not preclude any
language for annotations (though OWL is used in the examples).