Re: comments on SA-WSDL working draft 28. September 2006

Dear Dr. Waterfeld,

you have raised a number of issues against the SAWSDL Last Call draft,
which the SAWSDL WG accepted as LC issues 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 in our
issues list [1]. This email is to notify you of our resolutions and give
you the proper chance to respond.

In Issue 3, you suggested that we split the document into two
specifications, one for XML Schema annotations and one for WSDL
annotations. We decided that this would result in two too-small
documents, therefore we decided instead to reorganize the specification
to have major sections structured along the split of what is annotated
(WSDL and XML Schema) and not how (model reference and schema mappings).
On top of this, we added XML Schema to the title of the specification,
resulting in "Semantic Annotations for WSDL and XML Schema".
We hope these changes satisfy your concerns in this issues.

In Issue 4, you noted that our ontology was incomplete, and we believe
to have fixed it.

In Issue 5, you opine that our use of three technologies in schema
mappings (SPARQL, XSLT, XQuery) is quite confusing. We believe we added
enough of explanatory prose in Appendix A.1 to clear the situation up.

In Issue 6, you call for a way of embedding semantic models in WSDL. We
already mentioned such a possibility along with an example in section 2
of the previous draft, but now we have a section (2.3 Embedding Semantic
Models) that discusses how semantic models can be embedded in WSDL and
used by SAWSDL. We believe no special mechanism akin to wsdl:types for
embedding schemas would be necessary.

Finally in Issue 7, you would like to represent the ordered values of
our annotation attributes using a mechanism other than the atomic list
datatype. We decided to stick to the string list because we believe this
XML Schema construct is known and supported well enough not to cause any
pain to developers, especially because URIs cannot contain white space,
which is used to separate values in the list. Please note that even the
core XML has list datatypes, e.g. IDREFS, for values separated by white
space.

Please let us know by Jan 15 if you disagree with our disposition of
your comments.

Best regards and thanks for the comments,
Jacek Kopecky

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/sawsdl/issues/LC-20060928.html